Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, Los Angeles, CA April 1999 – October 2020
Deputy District Attorney
Public Integrity Division 2018-2020
Prosecuted Samuel Leung, a South Bay developer with bribery and unlawful campaign contributions to Los Angeles politicians. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-leung-hearing-20180604-story.html
Airport Branch 2016-2018
– Convicted murderer of 7 year old girl in marijuana deal gone bad at Jerry’s Deli in Marina Del Rey. https://argonautnews.com/guilty-verdict-in-marina-marketplace-killing/
Hardcore Gang Division (2010-2016) tried 25 murder and attempted murder trials to verdict
- Convicted the murderers of Venice youth pastor Oscar Duncan. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-venice-youth-pastor-murder-20150605-story.html
- Convicted a double murderer of spectators to a daytime softball game in a Venice park. https://centurycity-westwoodnews.com/michael-mariscal-22-convicted-shooting-two-teens-death-venice-park-2011/
- Convicted the conspirators to murder a codefendant involved in the murder of an eyewitness.
- Convicted Asian Boyz gang member Pierre Mercado of four murders and five attempted murders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c0zwR-wKr0
- Convicted the murderers of a smog shop owner in a murder-for-hire-extortion scheme.
- Convicted a Blood gang member in a cold-case double murder at a barbeque.
Major Fraud Division (2004-2010)
- Convicted thieves of stealing $1.5 million of body parts from UCLA Medical School. https://www.dailynews.com/2009/06/11/man-sentenced-to-10-years-in-ucla-body-parts-case/
- Convicted voodoo practitioners of stealing $4 million of real property. https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/06/man-tried-voodoo-black-magic-against-prosecutor-investigators-authorities-allege.html
- Convicted employees of the Gas Company of embezzling over $2 million. https://www.dailynews.com/2005/10/16/quartz-hill-man-gets-prison-for-22-million-gas-co-theft/
- Convicted associates of the Hells Angels gang of selling counterfeit Viagra and anabolic steroids.
Airport Branch (1999-2004)
- Convicted murderer of a tattoo artist in Venice.
- Convicted shooter into an occupied residence during attempted home invasion robbery.
- Convicted shooter into an occupied vehicle with great bodily injury.
- Convicted petting zoo business owner of felony animal cruelty.
- Victim Impact Program: filed and prosecuted dozens of domestic and sexual violence cases including rape, oral copulation on a hospital patient, domestic violence, and criminal threats.
United States Attorney’s Office, San Diego, CA December 1996 – January1998
Special Assistant United States Attorney
- Prosecuted dozens of felony federal drug smuggling, alien smuggling, and illegal re-entry after deportation cases while assigned to Border Crimes Unit.
- Obtained jury convictions of an alien-smuggler and a cross-border drug smuggler.
- Successfully argued two cases before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Led two grand jury investigations of drug trafficking conspiracies.
- Prosecuted Hells Angel member-bank robber for drug trafficking.
United States District Court Judge Charles Legge, San Francisco, CA August – December 1995
Extern. Assisted Judge Legge in all aspects of appellate practice; researched and wrote pre-argument memoranda on issues of admiralty, habeas corpus, federal jurisdiction, and Rush Limbaugh’s offer to pay a reward.
University of San Francisco, School of Law, San Francisco, CA
Juris Doctorate, June 1996, Cum Laude,
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Bachelor of Arts, History, June 1990
Marathon swimming and trial technology