Los Angeles Assault Defense Lawyers | Over 3 Decades Of Violent Crime Defense In LA
The assault and battery defense attorneys at Sitkoff & Hanrahan, LLP have the experience and trial skill to provide you with a determined defense against assault or battery charges. Depending on the circumstances of your case, our Los Angeles assault defense lawyers may negotiate for a lesser charge, obtain minimal or no jail time, or achieve an acquittal at trial.
Assault and battery types
Assault and battery are not interchangeable charges; they are different crimes that the prosecution must prove to win a conviction. Assault and battery can be simple or aggravated, misdemeanor or felony and domestic or nondomestic:
- Assault refers to the unlawful attempt to violently injure another person.
- Assault with a deadly weapon (ADW) also known as aggravated assault, refers to an assault in which a deadly weapon or other instrument that can inflict great bodily harm is used. Aggravated assault can also be charged if the victim is seriously injured.
- Battery involves unlawful violence or force against another person even if that person is not injured.
- Domestic battery is battery to a spouse, ex-spouse, domestic partner, former domestic partner, cohabitant, previous cohabitant, blood relative, relative by law, the mother or father of your child or a person with whom you share or shared an intimate relationship.
You may be charged with first-, second- or third-degree assault based on the specific facts of your case and the severity of the assault. Prosecutors generally charge an assault as a misdemeanor if nobody gets hurt. However, you may be charged with a felony assault for:
- Threatening or attacking a law enforcement or peace officer
- Using a deadly weapon during the commission of the assault
- Seriously injuring another person — referred to as assault causing bodily harm
Defense for your assault and battery charges
For a strong defense against assault or battery allegations, call Sitkoff & Hanrahan, LLP at 888-579-4844 or contact us online. At your free initial consultation, our attorneys consider possible strategies and explain your rights and options. We know arrests happen 24/7; we are always available to protect your rights.
Related Los Angeles Assault Defense Lawyers Links