Los Angeles Assault Defense Lawyers | Over 3 Decades Of Violent Crime Defense In LA
In 1987, two former prosecutors opened the criminal defense firm Takakjian & Sitkoff, LLP to fight for justice for people accused of crimes in Los Angeles and the surrounding communities. As former deputy district attorneys, we have the experience and skill to provide you with a determined defense against assault or battery charges. Depending on the circumstances of your particular offense, our Los Angeles assault defense lawyers may negotiate for a lesser charge, seek minimal jail time or pursue acquittal at trial.
Assault and battery types
Assault and battery are not interchangeable charges; they are different crimes that the prosecution must prove to win a conviction. Assault and battery can be simple or aggravated, misdemeanor or felony and domestic or nondomestic:
- Assault refers to the unlawful attempt to violently injure another person.
- Assault with a deadly weapon (ADW) also known as aggravated assault, refers to an assault in which a deadly weapon or other instrument that can inflict great bodily harm is used. Aggravated assault can also be charged if the victim is seriously injured.
- Battery involves unlawful violence or force against another person even if that person is not injured.
- Domestic battery is battery to a spouse, ex-spouse, domestic partner, former domestic partner, cohabitant, previous cohabitant, blood relative, relative by law, the mother or father of your child or a person with whom you share or shared an intimate relationship.
You may be charged with first-, second- or third-degree assault based on the specific facts of your case and the severity of the assault. Prosecutors generally charge an assault as a misdemeanor if nobody gets hurt. However, you may be charged with a felony assault for:
- Threatening or attacking a law enforcement or peace officer
- Using a deadly weapon during the commission of the assault
- Seriously injuring another person — referred to as assault causing bodily harm
Defense for your assault and battery charges
For a strong defense against assault or battery allegations, call Takakjian & Sitkoff, LLP at 888-579-4844 or contact us online. At your free initial consultation, our attorneys consider possible strategies and explain your rights and options. We know arrests happen 24/7; we are always available to protect your rights.
Related Los Angeles Assault Defense Lawyers Links