Juvenile Drug Crimes Lawyers Los Angeles
If your child has been charged with a California drug crime, it is important that you contact an experienced juvenile criminal defense attorney. A youthful indiscretion should not be allowed to adversely affect the rest of your child’s life. Even minor drug charges may lead to a lifetime of bad choices and missed opportunities. The Los Angeles juvenile drug crimes lawyers at Takakjian & Sitkoff, LLP help families that are struggling with criminal drug charges in Los Angeles.
Types of drug crimes
There is a wide array of drug crimes that juveniles may be charged with and they all have serious consequences:
- Possession: A juvenile may be charged with possession even when a small amount of drugs is found on their person, in their backpack, in their locker or in their car.
- Sale: Being arrested for selling drugs is a serious crime that may result in incarceration.
- Intent to Distribute: When more drugs are found than one person can reasonably use by himself or herself, the assumption is made that the person intends to sell the drugs to others.
- Transportation: These charges are intended to penalize drug dealers and cultivators who move drugs for sale. This charge can have serious penalties.
- Cultivation: It is illegal to grow and produce banned substances. Marijuana seeds, grow lamps, lab equipment, and other accessories will be taken in as evidence to show that the defendant tried to cultivate marijuana or manufacture other drugs.
Juvenile versus adult drug crimes
Juvenile drug charges may result in penalties ranging from informal probation to required rehabilitation and lengthy incarceration. While adult penalties are based on punishing criminal offenders, juvenile charges are meant to help troubled youths recover from their mistakes. With the assistance of one of our juvenile drug crimes lawyers, a young defendant may be able to avoid juvenile hall if they actively participate in rehabilitation services and other types of community service. Repeat offenders have fewer legal options than first- time offenders, so it is important to aggressively fight for all charges to be dropped or lessened in court.
Many young drug offenders have had their constitutional rights violated by wrongful search and seizure by police officers. The LA defense lawyers at Takakjian & Sitkoff, LLP carefully examine the details of the arrest, the criminal history of the defendant and the possible penalties their clients face to ensure the best possible outcome in your case. There are legal options available to drug offenders and many juveniles simply need support and understanding to get back on track.
The drug crime lawyers at Takakjian & Sitkoff, LLP understand that even minor drug convictions may adversely affect a child’s future. There are many legal options for drug offenders including probation and treatment programs. If your child is facing drug crimes in California, please contact our skilled defense attorneys at (888) 579-4844 to discuss your legal options.