Los Angeles Child Endangerment Defense Lawyers | LA Criminal Attorneys Since 1987
California laws, as well as the laws of every state, protect children from abuse and neglect. Los Angeles Child Endangerment cases typically have several components in criminal and family law courts, meaning you can be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony. You may also risk losing your child in California Department of Social Services (CDSS) Child Protective Services proceedings.
Takakjian & Sitkoff, LLP has taken on these challenging child endangerment cases for 30 years. Because we know your family and your freedom are at stake, our lawyers act promptly and decisively to build the best defense we can against your charges.
What is child endangerment?
Under California Penal Code Section 273a, which deals with child endangerment, the prosecution doesn’t need to prove the child was actually hurt, only that you placed the child in a situation that put her or him at risk of physical or mental injury in any of the following ways:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI) with a child in the car
- Serving alcohol to a teenage driver
- Leaving a child unattended in a parked vehicle
- Permitting a young child to play unsupervised near a body of water, playground or other dangerous condition
- Storing a firearm in a location that is easily accessible to children
- Neglecting medical care of an ill or injured child
- Placing your child in the care of a person with a known history of physical, mental or sexual abuse
- Inflicting unreasonable and harmful corporal punishment on a child
- Exposing a child to physically or mentally risky conditions
- Manufacturing, ingesting or dealing drugs in the presence of a child
- Failing to report incidents of child abuse or neglect as required by law
- Using threats and intimidation against a child
Penalties for child endangerment conviction
Child endangerment may be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the individual circumstances. If the court determines that your child was at risk of grave bodily harm or death, you may be charged with felony child endangerment and face up to six years in prison. A child abuse charge may also accompany endangerment offenses, enhancing the punishment.
When innocent parents are accused of endangerment
Unfortunately, many innocent parents find themselves caught up in the justice system when their children are harmed while acting like normal kids. It can quickly become your worst nightmare to find yourself in the middle of a child endangerment investigation while you’re just trying to concentrate on your child’s health and well-being. Our attorneys understand the pain and fear you are experiencing, about your child’s life and your family’s future. Our legal team offers you compassionate guidance even as we aggressively advocate for your rights and the security of your family.
Protect your rights against child endangerment allegations
For more information about fighting Los Angeles child endangerment charges, call Takakjian & Sitkoff, LLP at 888-579-4844 or contact us online. Our lawyers conduct a full case review and give you important information at your free initial consultation. If you are arrested after business hours or on the weekend, our attorneys are available to assist you.